The Betty Van Andel Scholarship
2013 Betty Van Andel Scholarship application
Postmark Application Deadline March 4, 2013
Named in memory of Betty Van Andel and inspired by her lifelong passion for music and her many contributions to Opera Grand Rapids, both as a board member and benefactor, the Betty Van Andel Scholarship seeks to continue Betty Van Andel’s vision of promoting opera in West Michigan by encouraging people who have distinguished themselves as exceptional candidates to pursue continuing education and development in an opera-related field.
Each year the Betty Van Andel Scholarship provides an award of up to $1,000 to an exceptional student candidate who is either a resident, or a student resident, in West Michigan. The funds are intended to cover expenses directly related to the recipient's course of study, for payment of tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at an educational institution, or for books, supplies, or equipment required for his or her course of instruction.
To ensure that the award serves this purpose, funds awarded are provided directly to the program or institution in which the recipient is enrolled.
Following are examples of opera-related areas of study
for which this award may be used:
- Music, Theater or Dance Training Programs
- Study Abroad Programs
- Young Artist Programs
- Arts Administration Programs
- Opera Education and/or Outreach Programs
- Technical Artist Programs (i.e. lighting design or stage management)
This list is not intended to be exclusive, but rather a guide for the types of requests that have been honored in the past.
The candidate must be a:
- Student dedicated to the pursuing continuing education and development in an opera-related field.
- Current resident or student residing in West Michigan.
To apply, please submit a:
- Typed, one-page, double-spaced letter describing the institution/program(s) for which you are seeking the scholarship and what you hope to gain from the experience. If applicable, please include additional institutions/programs for which you have applied or auditioned. Letter(s) of recommendation from a professional in your field that speaks to your qualifications at the time of the application.
- Current resumé of your work to this point.
- Completed application to the Opera Grand Rapids office by MARCH 4, 2013.
Please be prepared for a personal interview with the Opera Grand Rapids Scholarship Committee if requested.
- Recipients of this scholarship must meet all eligibility requirements.
- Awards are made out to an institution in which the recipient is enrolled, not to the individual directly.
- All decisions of the Scholarship Committee are final, including the decision to give partial awards or no award.
- The winner is requested to write a summary of his/her use of the scholarship funds and submit it to Opera Grand Rapids by December 31st, 2013.
- Opera Grand Rapids is an equal opportunity organization and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sexual orientation or religion.
- The scholarship must be used by December 31, 2013, or is otherwise forfeited.
- The winner is requested to be present at the annual Opera Grand Rapids fundraiser (June 13, 2013) to publically accept the award.